Want to participate in a sex study?
Listed below are links to ongoing studies of human sexuality by researchers around the world. You are eligible to participate in as many as you would like, depending upon whether you meet the selection criteria.
If you are a researcher and would like your study added to this page, please email a one-paragraph description modeled after the postings below to email@example.com. This paragraph should include the title and weblink/contact information for your survey, a sentence about the selection criteria (e.g., age, gender, or sexuality restrictions), and a sentence or two describing what will be asked of participants. Although it will not be posted on this page, please email the anticipated end date for data collection, as well as a note indicating whether your study has been approved by an IRB or ethics committee.
Thank you for your contributions to the science of sex!
- Atypical Sexual Interests and Mental Health Outcomes (King’s College London, UK) - Eligibility: Participants of all gender identities and sexual orientations, over the age of 18 are welcome to participate. Description: We want to examine how much people experience unusual sexual interests, whether factors such as personality traits influence them, attitudes towards sexual behaviour, and the relationship to the mental health of individuals who experience them. You will be asked to complete questions about your sexual interests, fantasies, and behaviour as well as personality, mental health (anxiety, depression, etc.), and gender. The study will take approximately 20-30 minutes. [Added May 9, 2018]
Investigating Attitudes toward Sexual Orientation and Casual Sex (Kwantlen Polytechnic University) - Eligibility: Open to individuals of all gender and sexual identities over the age of 16 years. Description: The purpose of this study is to examine the relationship between sexual history and attitudes about sex in order to better our understanding of human sexuality. Participants will read about a sexual scenario involving a fictitious person and will then answer questions about what they have read. The online survey is anonymous and confidential and should take only 15 minutes to complete. [Added May 9, 2018]
- Exploring Courtship Flirting Behaviours (Kwantlen Polytechnic University) –Eligibility: Participants of all gender identities and sexual orientations who are over the age of 16 are welcome to participate. Description: The purpose of this study is to examine courtship behaviours (i.e., flirting) and how those behaviours vary amongst individuals. Participating in this study requires answering some questions about how you have responded to and interacted with a person that you were sexually attracted to in in the past. You will also be required to answer some questions about yourself (i.e., demographic questions such as your age, sexual orientation, and relationship status) and about your views of gender. This study will take approximately 15 minutes of your time. [Added April 23, 2018]
- Development and Validation of Sexual Quality of Life Questionnaire for Men-Who-Have-Sex-with-Men with Prostate Cancer (British Columbia Cancer Agency) – Eligibility: 1) are between the age of 18 and 75, 2) have previous sexual experience with men, and 3) have been previously treated for prostate cancer with surgery, external beam radiation, or brachytherapy, with/without hormone therapy. Description: The goal of this study is to develop a survey to assess sexual function after prostate cancer treatment specific for gay or bisexual men. Participation involves completion of a set of questions online with focus on sexual quality of life. There are also questions regarding general demographics and prostate cancer diagnosis. This study will take about 20-60 minutes. [Added April 15, 2018]
- Exploring Attraction to Middle-Aged Men (Kwantlen Polytechnic University) – Eligibility: Female participants 16 years of age or older who only have sex with men. Description: The purpose of this study is to examine different variables that may be involved in women's attraction to middle-aged men. Participating in this study requires answering some questions about how you might respond to, and interact with, a fictional person. You will also be required to answer some questions about yourself (e.g., demographics like your age, sexual orientation, and relationship status), about your own personality, and about your feelings toward a variety of sexual activities. This study will take approximately 15 minutes of your time. [Added April 2, 2018]
- Willingness to Engage in Sexual Behavior (University of Arkansas) – Eligibility: You must be 18 or older to participate. Description: The purpose of this online study is to better understand how the process of willingness to engage in sexual behavior unfolds. Participation will take approximately 30 minutes. [Added March 31, 2018]
- Married Women and Names (University of Arkansas) – Eligibility: Self-identified women who are currently married to a self-identified man. Participants must be 18 years of age or older and fluent in English. Description: The purpose of this study is to better understand women’s decision-making process regarding whether or not to change their names after marriage. Participation will take approximately 30 minutes. [Added March 15, 2018]
- Perceptions and Evaluations of Genital Arousal Sensations (Queen’s University) – Eligibility: Individuals of all gender expressions and sexual orientations are invited to participate in an anonymous online questionnaire. Participants must be 18 years of age or older, fluent in English, and not currently experiencing any sexual difficulties. Description: The purpose of this study is to better understand the physical sensations that individuals experience during sexual arousal. Participation will take approximately 30 to 45 minutes, with a prize draw available as a thank you for your time. [Added March 11, 2018]
- Daily Relationship Experience Study (York University) - We are looking for couples over the age of 18 who have have been in a relationship for 2+ years and currently live together and are sexually active. Participants must have daily access to a computer with internet to participate in a brief survey every day for 21 days regarding their relationship experiences. Participants are rewarded a $60CAD/$48USD Amazon gift card for completion. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. [Added March 11, 2018]
- Reputational Punishment in Female Relations (Kwantlen Polytechnic University) - Eligibility: only FEMALE participants, who must be 16 years of age or older. Description: The purpose of this study is to examine different variables that may be involved in women’s interpersonal relationships with other women. Participating in this study requires answering some questions about how you might respond to, and interact with, a fictional person. You will also be required to answer some questions about yourself and your own personality. This study will take approximately 15 minutes. [Added February 27, 2018]
- Motivations and Experiences in Plyamorous Relationships (University of Western Ontario) - We are looking for participants who are over the age of 18, identify as polyamorous and/or practice polyamory, who live in Canada or the United States, currently have at least one partner, either have at least one additional partner or looking for an additional partner. All genders and sexual orientations welcome. The study is open to all forms of polyamory. If you are eligible to participate, we ask that you complete a monthly, online survey (approximately 30-45 minutes) for one year (i.e., 12 surveys in total). Due to the length of the survey, we will ask you to report on your relationships with up to two partners. We encourage partners to participate as well. Please email PolyLoveStudy@gmail.com for more information [Added February 1, 2018]
- Communication in BDSM/Kink Sexual Encounters Study (University of Kansas) - Participants will be asked to complete an anonymous survey asking about sexual experiences involving BDSM/Kink sexuality. Specifically, we want to understand how people communicate what is OK or not OK in the context of BDSM/kink sexuality. In order to participate, you must meet the following criteria: be over 18, have at least two sexual experiences involving BDSM/kink behavior, and be willing to fill out a 15-30 minute anonymous online survey. [Added January 23, 2018]
- Insider vs. Outsider's Views of Romantic Relationships (Acadia University and St. Francis Xavier University) - Restrictions: (1) At least 18 years or older and (2) currently in a romantic relationship. We are interested in learning more about how a person's own perception of their romantic relationship compares to their friends' and family members' perceptions. The objective of this research project is to attempt to understand how people give feedback to, and receive feedback from, their friends and family about different romantic relationships. To participate, you'll complete an hour long online survey about your perceptions of what others think about your romantic relationship and how you respond to those opinions. [Added January 22, 2018]
- The Dating App Hook-Up Study (Kwantlen Polytechnic University) - Restrictions: (1) Open to men who have sex with men only, (2) Participants must be 16 years of age or older, and (3) Participants must have dating app experience (e.g., Grindr). The purpose of this study is to assess individual and environmental factors that may influence ratings of attractiveness towards a series of potential romantic or sexual partners on a dating app. Participation requires that you read a short vignette, answer a question about the vignette, then complete a psychometric measure of sensation-seeking behavior. Participation will take approximately 15 minutes. [Added January 15, 2018]
- The Attitudes towards Casual Sex Study (Kwantlen Polytechnic University) - Restrictions: Open to all individuals over the age of 16 years. The purpose of this study is to examine the relationship between sexual history and attitudes about sex in order to better our understanding of human sexuality. Participants will read about a sexual scenario involving a fictitious person and will then answer questions about what they have read. The survey is an anonymous, online survey and should take no more than 30 minutes to complete. [Added January 15, 2018]
- Persons Raised By Parents Who Practiced CNM Study (Alaska Pacific University) - Participants will be asked to complete confidential, 1-2 hour-long interviews using VSee.com, a HIPAA-compliant video chat. The study's goal is to capture themes regarding how this knowledge about one's parents is perceived to have influenced interviewees' current relationship attitudes, beliefs, expectations, and approaches. Participant criteria include: Non-Alaska residents, 18 years of age or older, who grew up with parents who practiced CONSENSUAL non-monogamy. Interviewees must have been informed by their parents at some point in participants' childhood or teen years that they participated in this relationship style. If you are interested in participating, please contact Emily Mechtenberg at email@example.com [Added January 3, 2018]
- Sexual Experiences and Familial Support in Adults (University of Arkansas) - This survey is only offered in English and is open to all adults 18+ years old in the U.S. Participants can choose to include their email addresses at the end of the study to enter into a drawing of one of TEN $50 eGiftcards. This survey should take between 10-15 minutes to complete. It will ask about sensitive issues regarding sexual experiences. [Added February 6, 2017]
- Sexual Attitudes Survey (Ball State University) - This study examines people's attitudes toward and experiences with a variety of sexual activities. Participation will take less than 20 minutes of your time and requires only that you complete a brief survey about your sexual attitudes, personality traits, and sexual history. In order to participate in this study, you must be at least 18 years of age. [Added October 6, 2016]
Sexual Fantasy Survey (Ball State University) - This study is designed to further our understanding of people’s sexual fantasies. The only requirement for participation is that you are at least 18 years of age or older. Participation will take less than 30 minutes of your time and requires only that you complete a brief survey that asks questions about your sexual fantasies, personality traits, sexual attitudes, and sexual history. You will not be asked to provide any personally identifying information and all data will be collected anonymously. [Added August 23, 2016]