Curriculum Vitae -- Justin J. Lehmiller
Current Academic Position
- College Fellow, Department of Psychology, Harvard University
- Ph.D., Social Psychology, Purdue University, August 2008
- M.S., Experimental Psychology, Villanova University, September 2003
- B.A., Psychology, Summa Cum Laude, Gannon University, May 2001
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2014). The Psychology of Human Sexuality. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Harman, J. J., & Lehmiller, J. J. (2012). A Social Psychology Research Experience. San Diego, CA: Cognella.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Lehmiller, J.J., Ioerger, M. (2014). Social networking smartphone applications and sexual health outcomes among men who have sex with men. PLoS ONE, 9(1): e86603. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0086603
- Lehmiller, J.J., VanderDrift, L. E., & Kelly, J. R. (2014). Sexual communication, satisfaction, and condom use behavior in friends with benefits and romantic partners. The Journal of Sex Research, 51, 74-85.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Konkel, K. E. (2013). Commitment to the GLBT community: An investment model analysis of its antecedents and consequences. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 43, 1301-1312.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2012). Perceived marginalization and its association with physical and psychological health. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 29, 451-469.
- VanderDrift, L. E., Lehmiller, J. J., & Kelly J. R. (2012). Commitment in friends with benefits relationships: Implications for relational and safer sex outcomes. Personal Relationships, 19, 1-13.
- Lehmiller, J. J., VanderDrift, L. E., & Kelly J. R. (2011). Sex differences in approaching friends with benefits relationships. The Journal of Sex Research, 48, 275-284.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2010). Differences in relationship investments between gay and heterosexual men. Personal Relationships, 17, 81-96.
- Lehmiller, J. J., Law, A. T., & Tormala, T. T. (2010). The effect of self-affirmation on sexual prejudice. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 46, 276-285.
- Hoffman, A. M., Agnew, C. R., Lehmiller, J. J., & Duncan, N. T. (2009). Satisfaction, alternatives, investments, and the microfoundations of audience cost models.International Interactions, 35, 365-389.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2009). Secret romantic relationships: Consequences for personal and relational well-being. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 35, 1452-1466.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2008). Commitment in age-gap heterosexual romantic relationships: A test of evolutionary and socio-cultural predictions. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 32, 74-82.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Schmitt, M. T. (2008). Intergroup attitudes and values in response to the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Peace and Conflict: Journal of Peace Psychology, 14, 259-274.
- Agnew, C. R., Hoffman, A. M., Lehmiller, J. J., & Duncan, N. T. (2007). From the interpersonal to the international: Understanding commitment to the "War on Terror." Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 33, 1559-1571.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2007). Perceived marginalization and the prediction of romantic relationship stability. Journal of Marriage and Family, 69, 1036-1049.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Schmitt, M. T. (2007). Group domination and inequality in context: Evidence for the unstable meanings of social dominance and authoritarianism. European Journal of Social Psychology, 37, 704-724.
- Schmitt, M. T., Lehmiller, J. J., & Walsh, A. L. (2007). The role of heterosexual identity threat in differential support for same-sex “civil unions” versus “marriages.” Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 10, 443-455.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2006). Marginalized relationships: The impact of social disapproval on romantic relationship commitment. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 32, 40-51.
Chapters and Other Publications
- Lehmiller, J. J. (in press). No strings attached?: Are "friends with benefits" as complicated in real life as they are in the movies? In-Mind.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Ioerger, M. (in press). Prejudice and stigma in intimate relationships: Implications for relational and personal health outcomes . To appear in C. R. Agnew (Ed.), Social Influences on Close Relationships: Beyond the Dyad. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (in press). Racism. In T. R. Levine (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Deception. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (in press). Sexual relationships. In T. R. Levine (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Deception. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (in press). Tips from a self-taught teacher. APS Observer.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Konkel, K. E. (2012). Prejudice and discrimination in relational contexts. In M. Paludi (Ed.), The Psychology of Love (Vol. 2, pp. 75-87). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.
- Lehmiller, J. J., & Agnew, C. R. (2010). May-December paradoxes: An exploration of age-gap relationships in Western society. In W. R. Cupach & B. H. Spitzberg (Eds.), The Dark Side of Close Relationships II (pp. 39-61). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2009). Secret relationships. In H. T. Reis & S. K. Sprecher (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Human Relationships (pp. 1402-1405). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Arriaga, X. B., Agnew, C. R., Capezza, N. M., & Lehmiller, J. J. (2008). The social and physical environment of relationship initiation: An interdependence analysis. In S. Sprecher, A. Wenzel, & J. Harvey (Eds.), Handbook of Relationship Initiation (pp. 197-215). New York: Psychology Press.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2008). Conducting relationships research online: A primer on getting started and making the most of your resources. Relationship Research News, 7, 6-12.
- Agnew, C. R., & Lehmiller, J. J. (2007). Social exchange theory. In R. Baumeister & K. D. Vohs (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Social Psychology (pp. 895-896). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lehmiller, J. J. (2007). Robber’s Cave experiment. In R. Baumeister & K. D. Vohs (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Social Psychology (pp. 761-762). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Relationship Research News (Editor; 2013-Present)
- Journal of Social and Personal Relationships (Editorial Board)
- Personal Relationships (Editorial Board)
- Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity (Editorial Board)
- Social Influence (Editorial Board)
- Taking Sides: Clashing Views in Human Sexuality book series (Advisory Board)
- Cerficicate of Teaching Excellence, Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University, 2012
- Graduate Student Award for Outstanding Teaching, Purdue University, 2007
- Graduate Research Publication Award, First-Place, Purdue University, Department of Psychological Sciences, 2006
- C. Eugene Walker Outstanding Graduate Student of the Year Award, Purdue University, Department of Psychological Sciences, 2005
- Graduate Student Research Competition Award, Association for Psychological Science, 2005
- Archbishop John Mark GannonAward for General Scholastic Excellence, awarded to the graduating senior with the highest GPA, Gannon University, 2001
- Peter C. Braeger Undergraduate Research Writing Award, Gannon University, 2001
Current Professional Memberships
- American Psychological Association
- Association for Psychological Science
- International Academy of Sex Research
- International Association for Relationship Research
- Midwestern Psychological Association
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology
- Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues
- Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology
- Social Psychology Network