This Thanksgiving, when you think about all of the things you are thankful for, don't forget about sex! Research has found that sex is linked to numerous benefits for both the mind and body. In this post, I will highlight just 6 of them, but there are many, many others!
1. Studies have found that frequent orgasms, whether from masturbation or sex, are associated with better physical and psychological health. Not only that, but orgasms also provide temporary relief from symptoms of nasal congestion—a handy tip for navigating the cold and flu season.
2. Sex is a great form of exercise. In fact, research has found that young men burn 101 calories and women burn 69 calories on average during the act. Of course, it would take a LOT of sex to burn off all of that turkey and pie, but at least it's a more fun form of exercise than running, right?
3. Having regular sex appears to stimulate the brain. Consider this: rat studies have found that frequent sexual activity is associated with more neuron growth.
4. Just thinking about sex may have cognitive benefits. In fact, research has found that thinking about sex improves logical reasoning. Now you know why all of my blog posts sound so smart!
5. Having sex relieves stress for couples. That's right--make-up sex really is that good.
6. You can enjoy the benefits of sex for pretty much your entire life. In fact, research has found that many adults age 70+ still have active sex lives. Although we slow down a little and experience more sexual difficulties as we age, there is no definitive end point when it comes to sex.
Have yourself a happy and sexy Thanksgiving!
Want to learn more about Sex and Psychology ? Click here for previous articles or follow the blog on Facebook (facebook.com/psychologyofsex), Twitter (@JustinLehmiller), or Reddit (reddit.com/r/psychologyofsex) to receive updates.
Image Credit: 123RF.com
You Might Also Like: